Tuesday 7 October 2008

Ireland; South to North and Inside Out - The Warm Down

I'll go the signed route. I don't want to get lost out here. Particularly not in the wind and rain. Anyway, maybe Malin has buses. It wasn't tiny. No buses in Malin, maybe Culdaff, maybe Gleneely. I guess I'm going to Moville, that's a big palce it must have a bus. Moville is not as big as it looks, where will I find a toilet. The library - that must have one. [The library did not have a toilet but the librarian let me through the back to use his because "if any bastard has ever looked like they need the feckin' toilet it's you"]. I hope the ferries are still running because it looks like I'm going to Coleraine by bike.

Ferry is there and going despite the weather, so pleased I could not face going back to Londonderry. Back into Northern Ireland then. And a border here, although nobody is checking documents, just car boots. Follow the coastal road. AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH, the wind ,the rain, my knees. I'm glad this is a quiet road - shouting seems to help.

Whoever named Downhill is a liar, or they only approached it going in the opposite direction to me. All these signs for the Giant's Causeway, I'd go if I wasn't so desperate to get off this bike and stay off it.

Coleraine - that was 50 miles I could really have done without. Another ugly place, what is it about Northern Ireland that means the villages and small towns are lovely but the big towns and cities are hideous. But it has a bus station and a train station, direct to Belfast, that's all I need. I'll go tomorrow. Tonight is for celebrating, just me, a pint of Guiness and two choc-ices. The bike can stay at the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment