Thursday 18 December 2008

The only thing we have to fear is poetry

Whilst the order may vary the content of a list of the most common phobias is quite predictable - it's a category I would chose to play on Family Fortunes. I'm confident that spiders, flying, heights, death, open spaces, enclosed spaces, vomit, snakes and water would all be included. The raspberry wouldn't come for a while.

If I have a phobia I am not sure what it is I quite like water, spiders and snakes and have something of a talent for being sick. Spaces of any kind are irrelevant to me. I just accept the others as being part of life (except death which I suppose is not part of life per se but the two things are traditionally closely connected).

Public speaking will be on that list too. Most people get nervous before public speaking, that is not a phobia that is normal. At some point for some people the nerves must get uncontrollable and then it becomes a phobia. I don't now when that is but what I do know that I am metaphorically crapping myself at the thought of tonight's challenge. A poetry slam. Standing up in front of a group of strangers, performing a poem I have written and then being judged on that poem and performance. It's beyond public speaking. Nobody has ever scored one of my speeches. Also I'd be a lot happier if I thought my poems were any good and if I had ever seen or heard a slam poem before.

Part of me is hoping that I will be too late to register (you can only sign up on the evening), part of me is thinking about just not bothering, part of me is saying this is the point of the challenge year get on with it. I have to answer a crucial question, what is worse - the fear of the challenge, the fear of failure or the fear of not trying?

No comments:

Post a Comment