Saturday 27 December 2008

Fully covered

Standing in front of the student at Boots, two packets of Imodium and anti-bacterial wetwipes in front of you on the counter. Do you:

(a) explain it is precautionary because you are about to catch a flight to Kilimanjaro; or
(b) let her assume you have overdone it severely at Christmas?

Not yet nervous, I confess not knowing what to expect is causing me some concern. Have I got enough stuff? Have I got too much stuff? Will I be warm enough? Will I overheat when not on the mountain? It's too late now - I leave in 30 minutes.

On the positive side my beard is just about adequate. look at photos of successful mountain climbers of years gone, they almost all have admirable beards. Therefore (QED) all you need to climb a mountain is a beard. I am only hiking up a mountain, which is fortunate because I can only achieve an unkempt and patchy chin covering but I think that will be enough. That and the goretex jacket Edward rushed home for yesterday. There was a bit of concern when it was discovered I was planning on going onto the snowy -10 degrees (-16 with windchill) peak without a coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment