Friday 25 January 2008

The problem with alcohol

I do not intend to describe each Challenge in detail - most are self explanatory. However, as each one approaches it makes sense to give a bit of background on it. Unfortunately I cannot give much detail on the first one, Tough Guy (http://www.toughguy.co.uk/), because I found that the more I read about it the more ridiculous and masochistic it seems. Solution - stop reading about it.

Tough Guy was one of the original events that spawned the 30th Year Challenges idea. Paul had done it before, Paul calls it the most painful thing he has ever done and Paul had just bought a round at the end of a fairly long evening last summer. The conversation is a little vague but it approximated to:

Paul - Do you fancy doing Tough Guy next year?
Denzil - What does it actually involve?
Paul - A cross-country run followed by an assault course - but it is difficult.
Denzil -Ok then, why not?
Paul - The earlier you book the cheaper entry is.

I booked 3 days later.

Paul has spent the last few months suddenly remembering more and more about the event. The cross-country run goes up and downhill, through ditches, fences and undergrowth for about 8 miles and then the assault course includes electric fences, fire, underwater tunnels (in January cold water), climbing frames, large walls and concrete tunnels. All designed to cause competitors maximum pain. And apparently only about half the entrants complete it.

I know I cannot compete without signing a death warrant and I know it takes place near Wolverhampton. It was a good idea after 6 pints but since then I have not found a redeeming feature. Still, it makes sense to get the most stupid challenge out of the way first.

1 comment:

  1. Denzil. I know you like a challenge, but a whole year of them? I am not sure "challenge" is the right word. It strikes me "torture" would be closer to the mark!

    Good luck anyway...

    ReplyDelete