Saturday 12 January 2008

Get up and glow

It is not my intention in this Blog to bore on about training schedules and diets but I also do not want to give the impression that I am completely bumbling around in the dark. This week I have been in email contact with Gary Emrich, my guide for the Alcatraz Swim. I asked him for tips and advice to make what is currently the challenge that scares me most a bit easier. He suggested I eat oatmeal beforehand because it created a thermos flask effect on the body. He also advised I try it first so my body is not taken by surprise by its oatty goodness.

I have never been bothered by exciting tastes in the morning, my palate is dead at breakfast. So this morning I tried oatmeal and it really works. Warming, filling, energising and tastier than its papier mache appearance would suggest. However, it is a bugger to prepare (don't expect a recipe) and I have no idea how it can be done using a travel kettle in a San Francisco hotel room. Just one more little hillock to overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment